Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Lost

No this is not a post about a the show (though it is a good one : ).
This is not a post of spiritual metaphor on the state of the world.
This is literally about how I got lost, on purpose.

This past weekend I worked the Karate Atlanta retreat at Strong Rock Camp in Cleveland GA. I have these friends who live in Blairsville, the Koughs, and one of thier own, Matthew David, is one of my favorite Tri County friends. I was talking to said friend on the Thursday before I went, asking him about the fastest way to Blairsville from here.

On a side note one thing I've learned about Matthew recently is that he gives very good directions, very thourough. So thourough that you actually have to fight them out of the all the extra information he gives you. So after a three minute spiel about some backroads I got out that there were only three: Pine Log, Ivy Log, and Gum Log- then you come out at gas station on 129. Easy enough. Apparently not for Matt. He told me not to take them, because the backroads of Western NC and Northern GA can be confusing if someone doesn't show you. That is Matt's disclaimer. I hold him responsible for none of the following.

I was unable to take (try) the backroads on the way down because I was in a hurry. (Had to work my normal job at 8 - got off at 11 - ran to the bank and store and made to Cleveland by 12:30 in time to wash 20 min. worth of dishes and be prepped to teach 3 hours of archery at 1:00). So on the way back I was going to try to hang out with Matt's sister Stephanie. But she had finals, which were this week, only they are acutally next, but in any event I had an afternoon, a full tank of gas, water, snickers bar ( and kind bar), three road names, and the little bug in me that loves to drive and map out new routes.

On the way up I passed Gum Log were it runs into 129. So I turned down it. Keeping an eye open for Ivy Log or Pine Log. First I found Ivy Log Creek, but looking up it, it was minscule and turned into another road, so I kept going. Then I passed a road called Smyrna, without thinking about it. Right after that I saw Ivy Log Gap. "Now that's kinda promising." So since I had seen it as I drove past, I pulled my first U-turn and went down it. It forked and looked like it kept going to the left. I was 10 ft down the continuing road when I saw the dead end sign. Second U-turn. I was headed back the way I came when for the first time I saw the fork to the right, Ivy Log something road. Third U-turn and I took it. I was feeling pretty positive when I came out on another road.

Here we'll digress for a note on the insufficent labeling of North Georgia backroads. Everytime I came on to a new road, the only sign was for the road I was coming off of, no the one I was turning on to.

Back to the story, it was also at this point I realized I had no idea if I was suppossed to be turning left or right (it was a regular epiphany moment). I turned left. I went about a quarter of a mile when I recognized a fence and realised I was back on Gum Log going back towards 129. First circle. Fourth U-turn and I was headed back on Gum Log, eyes peeled for Pine or Ivy log. I passed a Pine Log on the left, but it was gravel. "No way that's the one I'm looking for." I drove on, finding nothing. Fifth U-turn and I took the gravel road. It didn't say dead in and looked well traveld so I kept on. It came out on another promising looking road, where I had to choose left or right. I don't know what was in me that day, I picked left. A mistake that could have saved sometime, but definitiely not fun. I came out and discoverd I was on Smyrna Rd and was back on Gum Log, across from the start of my first circle, thus making my second circle.

Here I gave Gum Log one more chance and kept driving. Found nothing until I suddenly ended up deadending into another road, that was of course, not labeled. Aha! I turned right. I was unsure where I was when I passed a sign for Brasstown creek. That was promising. So I kept on. I passed a mile marker that was "2" so I went on hoping the next one would be "1" and I could be near the line. I came up on a stoplight. Strange, but as I approached it I realised it was the juction of 515 at Young Harris. Now I knew where I was. I was actually disapointed, because while I knew exactly where I was and how to get home, it wasn't the route I set out to find. I pulled my sixth U-turn and headed back to Warne, NC and old 64. I got there and turned toward Brasstown and home. However I knew I'd pass Pine Log where I Matt orginally thought I'd be driving from. I debated whether or not I wanted to try and conquer it or not. I didn't decide until I drove past Pine Log road. Seventh U-turn and I took it. I gave that road 5 miles to turn up Ivy Log. It did it in three. I turned left, feeling pretty succesful. I was about three yards over the Union County line when I passed the only properly labeled road sign North Georgia apparently has to offer. I could have swore it didn't say Ivy Log (the road I turned on to) but Smyrna. Think back. About an hour before I had turned off gravel Pine Log onto a road called...that's right...Smyrna. Needless to say my sarcastic, talking-to-myself-in-the-car-diaglogue was flowing pretty quickly right now. It was when I passed the gravel Pine Log that I pulled my eighth U-turn and came back. Having successfully (: ?) completed the "easy to get lost" backroads from Brasstown to Blairsville. It took me only about three hours. But I know more about them now than their average traveler looking to cut a few minutes or the commute with some cookie cutter directions.

I now know that Gum Log dead ends into 66. I know that there are at least two circles off of Gum Log and...this is important! So pay attention! IF YOU ARE COMING FROM BRASSTOWN THE ROAD SEQUENCES IS : PINE LOG to IVY LOG to GUM LOG to 129. IF YOU ARE COMING FROM BLAIRSVILLE IT IS : GUM LOG to SMYRNA to PINE LOG to OLD 64. That was my biggest lesson learned.

On ending the trip positively for my directional instinct, I did recall on my own that Pine Log intersects Old 64 twice so I didn't have to backtrack my three miles.

If you want a map I'll draw you one. I can now.

No comments:

Post a Comment